This is our time; now is our moment.
Photo: Evan Leeson (cc)SA-2.0
Your actions and volunteerism are crucial for building the Emergency Climate Movement and taking ATL’s efforts to scale.
- Sign the petition: "Declare a Formal Global Warming State of Emergency" to be delivered to our President, Congress and world leaders.
- Join the Climate Emergency Coalition (sign on: Individuals / Organizations).
- Sign up for ATL's updates and action alerts.
- Spread the word online: email, tweet, post on Facebook, reach out through other social media channels. Use the hashtag #MobilizeNow.
- Spread the word personally: discuss these issues and our campaign with friends, family, teachers, students, colleagues, and your networks.
- Write letters to the editor or op-eds—using ATL's talking points or your own—about the need for climate action.
- Donate to ATL, an independent, nonpartisan 501c3 nonprofit organization.
- Volunteer with ATL: suggest a role for yourself or let us know your skills.
- Organize teach-ins at your local university, congregation, or civic space. Ask climate scientists, climate leaders, and influential leaders to lead sessions.
- Host moral conversations in your faith community. Ask your faith leader to speak up.
- Create a visioning group.
- We must quickly create a “new operating system” based on renewable energy, not fossil fuels.
- Most of the technology already exists and we have considerable results to draw upon.
- We can do this—it is just a question of will.
- The cost of inaction far outweighs the cost of action by orders of magnitude.
- We have run out of time for a gradual fossil fuel phase-out.
- We must mobilize our society on the scale of World War II to achieve net zero greenhouse gas emissions at wartime speed.
- Our own lives and our children's lives at stake.
- Peak carbon emissions now. Reductions must begin now in industrialized nations, and within a few years in developing nations.
- Reduce emissions ten percent per year and quickly transition from fossil fuels to low carbon energy.
- The US must lead. The US must embrace the 2°C limit, and lead the global low carbon mobilization to attain US zero carbon within a decade, and global zero carbon within fifteen years.
CALL FOR REAL BREAKTHROUGH POLICIES
- Price greenhouse gas pollution. This is the single most powerful mechanism we have to drive broad-based emissions reductions to confront the threat of global warming.
- Remove fossil fuel subsidies. These policies are driving the world toward dangerous climate change, distorting the market, and impeding the shift towards clean, efficient energy.
- Create strong incentives for renewables. Create policies that support their development, production, and roll-out as quickly as possible. Assist developing nations with clean energy so that they “leap-frog” fossil fuel development.
Earn “social capital” points when you tweet, endorse, recruit new supporters, donate, fundraise, and take other actions. Top recruiters are recognized, as points are tracked on a leaderboard.